The health benefits of Indian Gooseberry, also known as Amla, can be partially attributed to its high vitamin-c content. Amla enhances food absorption, balances stomach acid, fortifies the liver, nourishes the brain and mental functioning, supports the heart, strengthens the lungs, regulates elimination of free radicals, enhances fertility, helps the urinary system, increases skin health, promotes healthier hair, acts as a body coolant, flushes out toxins, increases vitality, strengthens eyes, improves muscle tone and, acts as an antioxidant.
The Indian Gooseberry belongs to the Euphorbiaceae family. This fruit ripens in the autumn in wet, forested, hilly areas on the Indian subcontinent. In India it is considered a sacred tree. The fruit is very nourishing, but it tastes sour. Both dried and fresh fruits can be consumed for their health benefits.
It provides remedies for many diseases, so it is widely used in Ayurvedic treatment. Gooseberry is very rich in Vitamin C, and contains many minerals and vitamins like Calcium, Phosphorous, Iron, Carotene and vitamin B Complex. Amla is also a powerful antioxidant agent.
Many health problems are caused by oxidative damage (when body cells use oxygen, they produce by-products called free radicals that can cause damage). Antioxidant agents prevent and repair these damages. Vitamin-C is a good antioxidant agent, which makes gooseberries a powerful tool against a variety of conditions, including various types of cancer.
Health Benefits of Amla
The health benefits of amla include the following:
Hair care: Amla is used in many hair tonics because it enriches, hair growth and hair pigmentation. It strengthens the roots of hair, maintains color, and improves luster. Eating fresh gooseberry or applying its paste on hair roots improves hair growth and color. Amla oil is very popular in India because it has been shown to reduce the chances of hair loss and baldness. This quality is due to the carotene content of Amla, as well as its iron content and general antioxidant capacity, which reduces hair loss by not allowing free radicals to damage hair follicles or impact the hormones that can cause premature hair loss.
Eye Care: Drinking Gooseberry juice with honey is good for improving eyesight, and studies have shown it to improve nearsightedness and cataracts, while reducing intro-ocular tension. This is mainly due to its impressive content of carotene, which have long been known for their powerful effect on vision-related conditions, including those that stem from free radical activity. Vitamin A and carotene reduce macular degeneration, night blindness, and strengthen your vision before the age-related degeneration from free radicals can occur.
Calcium Absorption: One of the less discussed benefits of Amla is how it helps the body absorb calcium in a positive way. Calcium is an essential component of our bones, teeth, and nails, and also ensures that we have beautiful lustrous hair. So, eating a vitamin C-rich fruit like Indian gooseberries is a great way to keep your body looking and feeling great!
Metabolic Activity: Eating foods that are high in protein is one of the most important ways to stay healthy, since proteins are an essential part of our body’s metabolic activities. Our enzymes can breakdown plant proteins into amino acids and reassemble them into usable proteins for our body. Protein is necessary for cellular growth, muscle development, organ health, and a wide range of other metabolic activities that we need to remain healthy and happy.
Menstrual Cramps: Some of the minerals and vitamins in Alma combine to make it very useful in the treatment of menstrual cramps. Since it takes a while for the necessary elements to accrue in the body, it is better to consume Alma on a regular basis so it is always in the system and menstrual cramps can be prevented every month for women.
Diabetes: Gooseberry contains chromium, which has a therapeutic value for diabetic patients. Indian Gooseberry stimulates the isolated group of cells that secrete the hormone insulin, thereby reducing blood sugar in diabetic patients and keeping their body balanced and healthy. When blood sugar is reduced, it means that glucose is also being used by the cells as functional energy, so the metabolism is stronger and you have more energy, without the plunges and spikes in blood sugar that are so dangerous for diabetic patients. Chromium also enhances the effect of beta blockers, which are used for heart health, by reducing the LDL cholesterol content of the body.
Diuretic Activity: Besides being a fruit that is very high in water, Amla is also slightly diuretic in nature. This means that it increases the frequency and volume of urination. Urination helps our body eliminate unwanted toxins and excess levels of water, salts, and uric acid. Furthermore, it can help you lose weight, since up to 4% of urine is actually composed of fat. Therefore, a diuretic substance is always necessary for keeping our kidneys healthy, and also preventing urinary infections and uterine infections. Alma is a great way to do this!
Digestion: Alma is very high in fiber, like most fruits. Fiber adds bulk to the stool and helps food move through the bowels and keeps your bowel movements regular. This reduces the chances of constipation, and fiber can also bulk up loose stools and reduce diarrhea. Fiber also stimulates the secretion of gastric and digestive juices, so food is digested efficiently, nutrients are absorbed in an optimal way, and you feel lighter and healthier.
Reducing constipation can also help protect your from various gastrointestinal disorders, even colorectal cancer!
Heart Disease: As mentioned above, gooseberry strengthens the heart muscles, so the heart pumps blood smoothly throughout the body. By reducing excess cholesterol buildup, the chromium can reduce the chances of atherosclerosis, or plaque buildup in the vessels and arteries. This can reduce the chances of strokes and heart attacks. The iron content promotes the creation of new red blood cells, increasing circulation and the oxygenation of organs and cells to maximize growth and regeneration of tissue, while keeping the blood vessels and arteries clean.
Infection: Due to its antibacterial and astringent attributes, Indian Gooseberries protect the body against infection and improves the body’s immune response. They are also a very good source of vitamin C, which is famous for its impressive antioxidant abilities and its stimulation of the immune system. It increases the white blood cell count in the body, which is the main line of defense for the immune system, since white blood cells attack and eliminate foreign toxins and substances in the bloodstream and throughout the body.
Diarrhea and Dysentery: Due to its strong cooling and laxative properties, Gooseberry is a useful component in remedies for diarrhea and dysentery. It provides great relief for gastric syndrome and hyperchlorhydria (burning sensation in the abdomen). As a laxative, it helps flush out any toxins or harmful substances you may have eaten that are causing your discomfort or illness, thereby eliminating it from your system so the healing process can begin, and cooling the burning and discomfort often felt when diarrhea occurs.
Improving Appetite: Consuming Gooseberry powder with butter and honey before a meal improves appetite. It also helps to balance nitrogen levels, thereby increasing weight in a healthy way.
Anti-Ageing: Amla prevents health-related hyperlipidaemia by reducing the amount of free radicals in the body through its antioxidant qualities. Free radicals are associated with signs of aging like wrinkles and age spots.
The fresh fruit of gooseberries contains more than 80% water, protein, minerals, carbohydrates and fiber. It is also used as a remedy for fever, liver disorder, indigestion, anemia, urinary problems, respiratory problems, cerebral, gastric and cardiovascular illness. Gooseberry lowers cholesterol levels, increases red blood cell production, and strengthens teeth and nails.
In other words, consume Indian Gooseberry (Amla) as a fresh fruit, juice, or dried form to see a big improvement in your health.
BENEFITS OF AMLA/GOOSEBERRY
- Amla is very good source of Vitamin C.
- It enhances the immunity power of a person if it is used regularly.
- Amla has antibacterial property thus helps to fight against infection by building immunity.
- Amla is the rich source of antioxidants thus prevents the body from free radicals, reduces cells damage, prevent from ageing, cancer and other diseases.
- Amla reduces the inflammation and acidity.
- Amla keeps the liver healthy (a most important body organ) and helps in flushing out more toxins.
- It also keeps the urinary system healthy and helps in flushing out more toxins without over-stimulating the kidney.
- It cures the sore throat and cough if taken its juice with ginger juice together.
- The extracts of amla help in slowing down the activity of osteoclasts (a cell type which breaks down the bone).
- It protects us from chronic cough, Bronchitis, tuberculosis as well as allergic asthma.
- It nourishes the nerves and provides relief in paralytic situations.
- It cures urinary, respiratory, cerebral, gastro, cardiovascular problems.
- Because of its iron content, it enhances the RBC production and hemoglobin.
- It makes stronger the teeth and nails.
- Amla rejuvenates the brain and improves memory as it is rich source of antioxidants and vitamin-c which enhances the production of norepinephrine (neurotransmitter) thus enhances the mood and brain activity.
- It treats the disorders like insomnia and provides relief from stress.
- It cures the leucorrhoea if taken with honey.
- It boosts the protein metabolism and helps in losing weight faster.
- It helps in curing the diseases like arthritis, osteoporosis and pancreatitis and age-related renal diseases.
- Because of its anti-inflammatory properties it reduces the joints (like knees) pain and swelling in the person with arthritis.
- Amla enhances the level of good cholesterol means HDL and reduces the bad cholesterol.
- It helps by preventing the risk of gall bladder stone (gall stone) formation as it reduces the cholesterol level in bile (excess cholesterol cause formation of stone).
- Amla is very good source for reducing the bad cholesterol level or LDL (by inhibiting the oxidation of called thiobarbituric acid, TBA), triglycerides and VLDL level in the body. So, it helps the heart to be prevented from many diseases like heart attack, stroke etc. As it is rich in the fibers and iron, so effectively in controls the oxidation of LDL means Low density protein which releases the free radicals (causing coronary artery disease).
- Amla helps in preventing the accumulation of plaques in the arteries means atherosclerosis thus protects heart diseases.
- It improves the body resistance and strengthens the heart muscles.
- Amla is rich in poly phenol thus controls the diabetes and complications of diabetes. It assists in the good insulin absorption which leads to the reduced blood sugar.
- It is rich in chromium which helps in regulating the carbohydrate metabolism thus helps the body to respond well to the insulin and reduces blood glucose level.
- Amla helps the woman by relieving the menstrual cramps.
- Amla is rich in the iron content which has ability to enhance hemoglobin and the sperm count thus improves the sex life.
Benefits of Amla for Eyes
- Amla juice if taken with honey helps in improving the eyesight.
- It helps in reducing the redness, itching and watering of the eyes as well as improves eyesight.
Benefits of Amla for Digestive System
- Amla reduces the gastric problems as it has anti inflammatory properties and works as a good antidote for upset stomach. It cures acidity if taken empty stomach.
- Amla helps the body in more nutrients absorption from food thus aids in good digestion.
- It is very good home remedy for diarrhea, dysentery and constipation because of its laxatives property.
- It provides relief from the hyperchlorhydria means the burning sensation of abdomen.
Benefits of Amla for Skin
- Gooseberry helps the skin looking great by removing blemishes, acne and other scars. It is good for getting better complexion as it is the excellent source of Vitamin C and minerals).
- It lightens the skin complexion as it contains vitamin C (anti aging property) which provides youthful look and natural glow.
- It works as a natural exfoliator and skin brightening mask as it removes dead cells, wrinkles and soothes the skin because of its astringent properties.
- Applying amla juice with cotton balls on the face for 10 to 15 minutes keeps skin spots, acne, pimples and pigments free.
- It is good source of Vitamin A thus reduces the ageing process. Vitamin A is very necessary for producing collagen (makes the skin looks young and elastic). If it is taken empty stomach, it slows down the collagen degradation.
- It boosts the collagen production in the skin thus keeps skin tight, toned, soft, supple and youthful.
- It is a natural home remedy which promotes damaged skin cells repairing in the body and makes skin smooth and new look.
Benefits of Amla for Hair
- It helps the hairs to look healthy and shiny than ever before if uses regularly. It minimizes the hair loss and helps the body to absorb more calcium from food.
- Eating or applying paste of amla powder to the hair helps in getting relief from the dandruff and keeps hair strong, thick, dark and smooth.
- Amla oil massage helps in inducing sound sleep and preventing premature hair graying because of antioxidant nature.
- It strengthens hair follicles and encourages new hair growth if amla juice and lemon juice mixture is applied to the scalp for 20 to 30 min and wash with little warm water.
- Regular consumption of amla or amla juice helps in treating various hair problems like hair loss, hair fall, split ends and etc.
Benefits of Amla Juice
- Taking amla juice in the early morning (empty stomach) prevents from scurvy and jaundice.
- Amla juice treats the mouth ulcers very frequently.
- Amla juice is a powerhouse of the vitamin C and iron which helps boosting the immunity system and prevents from various diseases.
- Drink amla juice with honey to get relieve from the respiratory problems like asthma, allergic asthma, bronchitis, chronic cough, tuberculosis and etc.
- It regulates bowel movements and reduces the risk of chronic constipation and piles and other gastric disorders such as hyperchlorhydria (abdominal burning sensation), diarrhea, dysentery, peptic ulcer and acidity.
- Regular drink of amla juice purifies blood by flushing out all the toxins from body as well as enhancing red blood cell counts.
- It improves eyesight by reducing the chances of nearsightedness, glaucoma, cataracts, intraocular tension and etc.
- It makes a protective shield around the body to prevent from the harmful sun light radiations such as UV rays.
- It reduces the inflammations and swelling in the joints as well as cures arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- It is a body cooling drink keeps mind stress free and cures insomnia.
- Its powerful antioxidant quality protects against free radicals formation and their side effects thus prevents from cancer and other lethal diseases.
Benefits of Amla Juice for Weight Loss
- It helps in improving the metabolism rate in the body and protein synthesis which in turn helps losing weight faster.
- It detoxifies the body and removes toxins thus reduces tendency to gain more weight.
- It helps in energizing and rejuvenating the body all time by maintaining the proper body systems work out thus reduces the chance of tiredness and lethargy which ultimately contribute to weight loss strategy.
- It fulfills the daily body needs of minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients which keeps body active and promotes weight loss.
Benefits of Amla Powder
- Amla powder contains high level of vitamin C, phytonutrients, ellagic acid, flavonoids and etc which helps in reducing free radicals formation in the body.
- Amla powder can be eaten orally or applied topically to the face or hair to get its full benefits. It contains a phenolic compound called Gallic acid which helps in repairing damaged hair.
- It helps in controlling elevated cholesterol level in the blood as well as having tendency to lower the blood pressure.
- It is rich source of dietary fibers which helps in regulating digestive functioning and reduces the risk of gastrointestinal disorders.
- Applying amla hair oil with proper massage to the scalp promotes better hair growth and strengthens the hair follicles.
- It provides natural dark color and shine to the hair as well as prevents from the dullness, dandruff and hair fall.
Medicinal Benefits of Amla
- Applying the paste of (soak dried amla into iron pot for whole night and make paste) mixture into hair in the early morning helps in treating premature graying of the hair.
- Applying the paste or water of amla, sikakai, reetha keeps hair strong, lengthy, soft and black.
- Drinking amla juice with misri and water two to three times a day helps in relieving vomiting and hiccough problem.
- It provides help in treating acidity problem if soaked amla seeds (for whole night) paste is taken in the morning with cow milk.
- Taking amla chatni with honey two times in the morning and evening helps in curing jaundice and other liver disorders.
- Eating triphala churn with warm water during sleeping time helps in curing constipation.
- Taking amla powder with malai of dahi two to three times a day helps in treating bleeding from piles.
- Applying fresh amla juice on the cut, wounds, etc provides relief.
- Taking amla powder at night with ghee, honey or water helps in keeping young and youthful.